Thursday 9 October 2014

The woes of my Nigerian private school pupil

It looks like it is my challenges but they are not mine she bears them all. She is in Nigeria but is learning about Abraham Lincoln and the great London Fire.
She is in Nigeria and understands little of her father's tongue yet is a living,breathing and Eba eating Oxford Dictionary
 


The overpriced school fees and the class projects indirectly sent to me, it looks like my challenges but she bears them all. She knows summer, Autumn, Spring and Winter but can not understand the Dry and wet seasons. Do I blame her? She wrote about what she did during her summer vacation not "long vac" (like I fondly remember) which was spent in the city Lagos.


I once asked what curricula do you use? A British, American, Japanese,Chinese  with a Nigerian strength. That answer will always remind me never to ask such. I have since wondered if the "Nigerian strength" was a metaphor for the poor teacher who is left to make sense of this gibberish. Not at all my headache ,she bears them all.
 

Where are the fields we had to run about and play? They are now classrooms she answered with a defeated sigh. How many subjects do you study? She counted her ten fingers and ten toes. So I asked again how many? Slyly she enquired mummy can I borrow your fingers and toes too? 



Tears flowed down my face, like she read my mind.she looked at me and said mummy don't worry when I become the president teacher  I will make everyone happy.
She  may not understand the tears I shed. But I don't also think we need to wait till she becomes a president teacher (whatever that is) to make the so much needed changes to the Nigerian Education sector.






No comments:

Post a Comment