Monday 3 November 2014

Why are they not writing legibly?

I have been in the mainstream class for 2 weeks now and what I have noticed is the fact that my pupils have very illegible handwriting.
I literally have to call some pupils to help me read what they have written.

 Photo Credit:.http://blog.upub.net

I will say, like  the bible says; in the beginning it was not so. The emphasis on beautiful and legible writing has weakened. Parents, teachers and pupils alike have stopped paying attention to handwriting.

PHOTO CREDIT: WWW.GRAPHOLOGY.IT


I am so big on handwriting maybe because I write very well. I am even of the view that my success in some examinations was due to my handwriting.


As a teacher I need to be honest, I love reading and marking the books of pupils the write legibly. I am not saying the child should be a calligrapher. But people should be able to read what you write without  needing to borrow a pair of reading glasses.
 
PHOTO CREDIT: WWW.GLOGSTER.COM



I think the technologies of this age have a role to play in this problem. I know some school of thought will argue that how much  Handwriting  is done in today's corporate world? Not much, but you will sign the typed letter right? and your signature will be affected by the way you write one way or the other.








We should all make an effort to help children write legibly. I commend all schools that have a specfic school handwriting they teach pupils school wide. This is a great way to improve handwriting school wide.

 
In schools where handwriting is not practised school wide, a class teacher can make it his/ her goal to improve the handwriting of specific pupils in their class.


Please don't forget to comment and share your experiences and other best practises on handwriting.


No comments:

Post a Comment