Friday 24 January 2014

Special Education Needs

Wow its 2 WEEKS already! The hustle and bustle in Lagos is impossible. I literally slept and woke up 2 weeks later. I do apologize; I did say I was likely to post more frequently.
Enough of my rambling already!


I literally slept and woke up two weeks later

Last week was the first week of school and since Tuesday 14th January was a public holiday, we had only four days of school.Revision of last term’s work was ongoing till Friday. It was centered predominately on the past examinations as class teachers went through the examination questions with their pupils (I am no more a class teacher.)


last week was the first week of school

As the Special Education Needs (S.E.N) teacher, I went round all the classes and administered diagnostic assessments for my pupils that will need my attention (for now it is mostly reading interventions for pupils reading below year level standards).  I conducted these tests to enable me know their abilities and area of challenges. Also these tests will serve as my benchmark, since I will give the same test at the end of the term.
 www.notyouraveragenigerianteacher.blogspot.com


The comparison of the entry and exit assessment will tell me if the pupil has profited from the intervention program. Most important, at the end of the term it will be a part of my portfolio. When I am reviewing my practices I will assess if certain practices, methodology, books etc. helped my pupils or not; where they did, I will find ways to get them to work even better and in cases where they did not I will research on other best practices for reading interventions.
Oh yes I forgot to explain my job as a SEN teacher. As you know, education is by age and ability. Thus the capabilities of children even of the same age are different. One major contributing factor in the differences in aptitudes is the diverse learning styles of child (also their birthdays). It is also important to know that one of the major factors of class placement is age.

www.notyouraveragenigerianteacher.blogspot.com

 A typical year 1 class will have predominately 5 year olds but they will not be at the same level due to many factors. As the SEN teacher I come in to bring the up-and-coming pupils to make year level standards. You may be wondering what will happen to the year level and above year level abilities? Usually the class teacher with his or her differentiated instruction will help pupils in that ability bracket.


 
That’s all for last week, I promise to do an in-depth piece on the learning styles of children and differentiating instruction.
P.S I WILL BE POSTING ON FRIDAY EVENINGS TO ENABLE YOU HAVE A FEEL OF MY WEEK’S ACTIVITES(MONDAY TO FRIDAY)
Don't forget to subscribe and comment
That will be all for this week!
See you next week.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic ....this is really inspiring. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete